Friday 4 April 2008

More memories of Alvin Ailey

If I close my eyes I can just picture seeing Judy in Washington D.C. at the Kennedy Center. We (the Ailey Dance troupe) had just flown into DC from Los Angeles for a two week run at the Kennedy Center. It still remains one of my most favorite theatres in the US. Judy just had pins put into her hips and was in a lot of pain. As I was her understudy for Alvin's piece 'The Mooche', she asked if I could rehearse and go on that night. I was 20 years old and scared to death.

Luckily that night went fine and Judy was so sweet. I love her sense of music and how her movements always fit the tiniest note. I guess that is why she is a major star in the dance world and has done such a great job with the company.

One memory of Judy was in the changing room ( I was taking an all male ballet class with my dance coach so that a young Daniel Killpack would notice me) asking if I wanted to return to performing. I had left the company only six months earlier at the age of only 27. Shortly after Alvin died, Judy was named the artistic director.....

last memory of Judy was on 94th and Broadway in NYC while shopping with an infant Dakota. She seemed surprised that I had married and changed my life with the addition of a baby...I guess life is about 'the choices made and which path one takes' When I see Jewel dancing, there are no words to describe how I feel...



5 comments:

Starr said...

Patricia, I can only imagine what it's like to read an article like this & feel so connected to the person & yet so disconnected by time.

Do you ever wonder, what if I'd stayed?

Patricia said...

Hey Starr, your word 'disconnected' would the the best description for how I feel at timed. I do wonder what would have happened if I stayed. Several more years of dancing some nice roles but no husband and no kids would have entered my life. As I get closer to age 50, I am trying to grab all the many pieces and different parts of me. The memories good, bad and ugly I want to embrace and honor them. This is my life story...

Kristin said...

Embrace the good, bad, and ugly, huh? No easy task, Patricia. Thanks for sharing this little part of your life that I probably would never have otherwise known about.

celine said...

there are certain lessons only children can bring (i am sure we all know - but i can't help but say it). i love that you love seeing your daughter dance - that makes everything so beautiful and perfect.

Patricia said...

Kristin and Celine, thanks for sharing your thoughts. Embracing all of who we are/will be is a daunting task but is very healing and satisfying as the journey progresses...and having kids does teach life lessons and reshape/mold us in ways that are not possible in any other way. Who I was when dancing is completley different than how I am as a mother today and I wouldn't trade it for anything.