Sunday 20 January 2008

Weekend of January 19th-20th (Brrr)



There is nothing better than coming home to a warm home! The Northeast has been hit with frigid temps and winds. Typical for January, but still very cold when wearing church dress clothes.




Daniel and Dakota went to the Manhattan Temple with the East Brunswick youth on Saturday morning. They left at 7:00 am and returned home by 1:00 pm. Daniel and Patricia went to the funeral of a ward member Joe Chapino. He was a veteran of Vietnam who died of a brain tumor. The funeral was at 3:00 pm, very short but nicely done. He had a military burial.

Church was a regular day, with the family leaving early for choir practice (for Dakota) and then our 9:30 Sacrament meeting. Daniel had to return to church to play for a Spanish branch activity as they don't have a pianist. Patricia begins her 2008 year starting next Sunday, with visiting all the wards in the Stake for ward conferences.

trivia: tomorrow is the National Holiday for Dr. Martin Luther King Jr birthday. I was 10 years old attending PS 192 in Harlem when I heard the news that he had been killed on April 4th 1969. I knew something awful had occured when fires were being set in the street as I was frightened taking the bus home. I remember the chills I felt when I saw on TV, the balcony where he was shot and his body.

gratitude: I am grateful to have been alive during the time of King's fight against racism in America. The speech in Washington D.C still gives me goose bumps everytime I hear it. I enjoy many privaleges today due to the civil rights movement. There is never a bus ride I take, that my eyes don't wander to the back of the bus....

No comments: